Experiences

Drama Camp & Rainbows of Fun

11/27/2013 06:26:00 am

So sorry to everyone for the lack of posts these past three days! I have been busy with Drama Camp that starts from early in the morning at 8am until 3pm. Had to force myself out of bed as it has been a long time since I woke up early for school. On the 1st day, I woke up with an aching back and arm. Regardless of how tired I am, drama is my passion! All 3 days, from 8 to 12, we have sessions with our drama instructor. We have a lunch break until 1 and then we play some bonding games with our seniors!


Day 1


After warming up, doing some acting exercises, talking about our fears and playing the game 'Vampire' in the dark (everyone has to close our eyes and when the two vampires squeeze our shoulders, we die a tragic death), it was games time! Our first activity was to write something nice to everybody on the paper that is taped to the back of our shirt. We automatically sat and stood in lines and took turns writing for each other. It was a great bonding opportunity as we got to read what our friends actually thought of us but didn't say. 


multi-tasking


caterpillar formation



I lost this round :(
Next we played the chair game (it is literally called the chair game) where we arranged all the chairs in a U-Shape formation and each team (Wildcats and Bloodhounds) stood on different sides of the 'U'. Each member from the team will have to move from one chair to another with the butt fully pressed onto every single chair until the two members meet and play "Scissor, Paper, Rock." The loser will return to her team as someone else replaces her and move towards the winner, at the same time the winner will proceed to move to the other side of the 'U' (towards the loser's team) by shifting her butt. Whoever wins all the "Scissor, Paper, Rock" games and successfully reach the other team wins!


The way we were screaming was inhumane, I swear

We then voted to play Musical Chairs (we may be teenagers but this game is fun) and it was so intense, we had to dance around the chairs and many people had to be eliminated each round. There were 15 people playing and only 6 chairs available. We fought for the seats with our butts and it was scary, seriously! The screaming and the pushing was hilarious! The music playing was too soft and a lot of us could not hear it properly as we were laughing too loudly and some of us sat on the chairs even when the music was playing! During the final showdown, my seniors fought for the chair so hard the chair fell when they were both sitting on it! My senior nearly sprained her ankle, but thankfully everything is alright. It's all just jokes and friendly competitiveness. (I think)




Day 2

Back for more :) Even after devising a play and acting out the script for hours, we were still so loud and energetic! I was actually starving the whole morning but my lovely seniors gave me some bread to fill my empty stomach. Thanks seniors! During lunch I ate 5 slices of Domino's Pizza and I was so happy! We were all told to bring a spoon and since I left mine at home, I went to the cup noodles shop outside school to get a spoon. 

Wildcats VS. Bloodhounds!

We played 'Spoon Zero', a game based on pure luck. There is no strategy to win this game. The player will shout out "Spoon ____ (and a number)" the team will have to raise our spoons and the total must add up to the number that has been shouted out. If "Spoon Zero" is shouted out, no spoons will be raised, "Spoon 1" and the player will raise her own spoon. "Spoon 14" and everybody will raise their spoons! Bloodhounds won because we have mind reading powers!

BLOODHOUNDS

The second game was a water game called 'Blind Waitressing' and the waitress is blindfolded. Three cups will be placed on the team member's head and the blind waitress has to pour water into the cups until the brim. The point of the game is to fill up as many cups as possible so everyone had a chance to get wet. A lot of pressure was given to the waitress and after reflecting upon it, I feel apologetic, she was already under loads of pressure and people, including me, were shouting instructions at her. Anyways, my senior did a very good job, after a while she got the hang of it and Bloodhounds won with 49 cups full!


The water was so cold but at least I was not drenched!

But she was!


After some of us changed into dry clothes, we played Running Man! For those who don't know how the game goes, I will explain it to you. Wildcats and Bloodhounds had to hide from each other and had to find hidden letters at the same time. If we see someone from the opposite team and we catch them, we tear out their name tag (masking tape with team name on it) on the back of their shirt. It was supposed to be a game but we took it way too seriously. Within the first ten minutes of the game I was separated from my team mates and I hid behind a pillar. The Wildcats saw me and I broke into a sprint towards the foyer. On the way there I tripped over the drain. I scratched my knees hard against the curb and hit my hipbone and the side of my thumb. I fell flat on my face on the grass patch. When one of the Wildcats walked over, I begged her not to tear out my tag. I still wanted to play the game! She let me go and after walking slowly, I was good enough to run with only a bit of pain again.


I found my other team mates and we hid in one of the dressing rooms backstage and when anyone called us, our team members told them "Do not trust anyone!" as we did not want them to lure the Wildcats to our hiding spot. The Wildcats were planning on mobbing us! Although we outnumbered them, they were much stronger than us. The Bloodhounds that were already out of the game texted us details of their plans and where the Wildcats were. Two girls sacrificed themselves to check if the coast was clear but they were ambushed too. It was like a spy movie! We hid between air-con compressors and moved with our back against the wall in case anyone tried to rip them off. It was so intense and when the Bloodhounds and Wildcats had a showdown, we were all using the wall as a shield. We were screaming and due to competitiveness, we got quite aggressive. We grabbed each other arms. One of my teammates were being cornered by 3 Wildcats and I felt bad not saving her... So I jumped onto one of the chairs and carried the chair as I walked towards her. The back of my chair was my protection. However, when two of my seniors trapped me, I sat down on the chair and did not move. They pulled on the back of the chair and kept trying to tear my name tag out. When they managed to tear it out, I grabbed onto my senior's hands and tried to pry my name tag out of her hands. I accidentally scratched her with my fingernails and she shouted at me. The tension was evident in the air. My teammate slammed her back against the door of the studio as she was being cornered and she hurt herself.


The teachers and EXCO (executive committee) heard our screaming and came to check on us. The game was called to an end and everyone assembled inside the studio. One girl locked herself in the toilet cubicle to escape from the Wildcats and she did not bring her phone along for the game so we could not contact her. Another girl was so angry she grabbed her bag and walked out of the studio after informing the Vice-President. The EXCO later lectured us on how we got too competitive and aggressive. This was supposed to be a bonding game but all it did was the exact opposite. I apologised to my senior for scratching her and we all went home at 4pm instead of 3pm. I had a big swollen bruise and a knee full of cuts and a muscle cramp on my right thigh.


Day 3


The last day of Drama Camp. The next session we would have together would be in January. I wanted to make the best of today without any fights or disagreements. Unfortunately, we were constantly scolded for talking too much when the EXCO is giving out instructions. Our drama instructor could not turn up at the last minute due to some unknown reasons and her boss had to be the relief teacher of the day. We worked on devising the play but it was hard to do so as our instructor did not tell us what to do. We split into groups of 4 and we wrote a short biography of the daughter (protagonist) and the single mother. After 30 minutes, we picked out the good points from everybody's work and we developed further on the characters. Although the relief teacher did not plan the lesson, I think it was a good job well done.


For lunch, all of us ordered McDelivery and we had lunch together as a big family in the foyer. The cleaner was quite annoyed as she just mopped the floor and we were making it oily again! We all had loads of fun as we sat in a large oval and talked while eating. I was starving and even after I finished my Filet O' Fish (no tartar sauce), French Fries and Ice Milo, I was still hungry. I eat a lot. 


We played 'Poison Sphere' where one of the team make a big circle and the other team paired up among ourselves and entered the circle in pairs. We would be asked to name 3 things (example, actresses, youtubers, fashion designers) while we had to avoid getting in contact with the ball the other team was throwing around. If we name all 3 things without getting hit, the team gets 1 point. When I was asked to name famous actors, my mind went blank. I shouted Andrew Garfield and forgot everything else! My partner shouted 2 more names and we got the point! The game was much harder than it seemed. Bloodhounds got 2 points and Wildcats had 1 point. We won again! 


Santa Claus (Garbage woman) in the background!

Next we played 'Guess the Drawings'. Two teams sat in two straight lines. The first person would be told to draw something within 20 seconds, show the person sitting in front of you the drawing and the other team member had to draw and it goes on until the last person gets it and have to guess what the drawing is! From a elephant it became a bonfire, an air-con to aeroplane, a dinosaur to chicken and a fireplace to a tombstone! We had such a great laugh and we learnt that acting is team effort, if one person doesn't do her job properly, everyone fails. We must support each other and have their backs!


The last activity was writing something about someone on a piece of paper again. This time we had to thank them for something they did. We sat in a circle and listened to music as we wrote messages for every single TK Thespian. It was tiring but it was worth it when I saw the smiles on my fellow CCA-mates :) I was so touched when they thanked me for being participative and enthusiastic during sessions!

Thank you everyone!

We were dismissed at 4 and my seniors went to an Ice Cream Café! As next year will be their 'O' Levels year, they would have to leave in May. I would miss them terribly and Drama Club will really not be the same without the loud, hilarious and crazy Sec 3s.

















TK Thespians will always be my 2nd family. This is the right CCA for me and I am definitely going to be a part of this family for the next 3 years. My seniors that have graduated this year occasionally come back to say hi and see how we are doing. We are known to be loud, crazy and we always make a splash at every school event. You should have seen how we looked like on Open House! This is the picture!



Thanks for reading about the three most memorable days of my life!



♥,
Jermainex

You Might Also Like

0 comments